Saturday, March 9, 2013

Christian Hipsters

The Christian Hipster

I'm not going to go into what a hipster is in detail.  Most everyone should know what a hipster is by now.  A hipster is a person that thinks that they are countercultural and anti-mainstream (that's a word now.  As a writer, I definitely have the power to do that), but are actually defined by that very mainstream they seek to defy.

If you don't know what a hipster is, check out http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster.  I particularly like the part where they say, "Definitions are too mainstream.  Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream."

It's really not fair to make fun of people who try very hard to show that they are unaffected by the "mainstream".  It's obvious to most of us that there are many groups that worry waaaaaay too much what other people think about them because they have a philosophy that tries so hard to be non-comformist.  But it's a trap that's so easy to fall into.

Pictured:  People, not conforming.

Enough about subcultures that everyone knows about.  Really, you want to know what I mean by "Christian Hipster".

Actually, I was wondering if you would have the obligatory funny cat picture at some point.
"Christian Hipster" is a phrase that I coined the other day and I claim the daylights out of it.  I also said that "Thursday is the gateway to Friday", and I claim all of that too.  Basically, I want a quarter every time someone says it.

A Christian Hipster is someone who tries to be defined by how awesome of a Christian they are.  The easiest way to explain this is by giving examples.  A Christian might wear jeans to church.  A Christian Hipster will wear jeans to make a statement.  A Christian might get a tattoo.  A Christian Hipster will get a tattoo hoping that someone will point out that the Bible outlaws tattoos, just so they have an opportunity to prove that person wrong and themselves smarter.

The Book of Leviticus can totally make you look cool
This is the kind of person who would put four wise men in their nativity scene just so someone will object and they can tell them to go read the book of Matthews again, because nowhere does it say that there were three kings that visited the baby Jesus.  Who was probably almost two years old, by the way. 

I need to stop here and explain something to any non-Christians reading this.  The truth is, all Christians act hypocritical sometimes.  Our entire faith is based on the principle that mankind is hopelessly broken and only God can help us.  We know that we make mistakes and that we aren't good people.  Our entire faith would be rendered unnecessary if there were any "good" people--someone who was perfect.  So know that just because someone is doing these things, it doesn't make them not a Christian, just a jerk.

Although, to be honest, some Christian Hipsters aren't Christians.  I was one of those people.  My family didn't go to church or talk about God very much, but I was encouraged to read the Bible and for that, I'm thankful.  So I did read it.  I actually got to be quite knowledgeable.  So, when I was around church-going people and they were wrong about some of the finer points of "our" faith, I thought they were hypocritical sheeple.  Except I would never actually say "sheeple" at risk of punching myself in my own face. 

They keep on eating, while Big Grass rakes in the profits from their naivety
Then one day I was reading a book that had a point that really hit home.  It said in paraphrase, that if you believe Jesus is Christ God, then it should affect every single part of your life every single second.  I knew that because I read my Bible, but oops.  

Look at this book, trying so hard to be cool.  Whatever.
So, the book I snickered at for it's cover and "teen-friendly" style ended up being the tool God used to open my eyes.  I was not a Christian, because I didn't care about God in the least.  A Christian is both a slave of God and a child of God, a heir to heaven, and I was neither even in the slightest.  To some people, Christianity is just emotional, to some just intellectual.  Neither group is right--there has to be a balance.

The thing that the Christian Hipster forgets is expressed perfectly in 1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether then you eat or drink, do all to the glory of God".  In context this verse is dealing with more mature or just more knowledgeable Christians who were upsetting other Christians with what they were doing although they were perfectly in their right to do that.  Paul, the writer of this letter says that a Christian needs to think about how their actions will affect others first.  It's not a question of what we're allowed to do--it's a matter of what glorifies God the most.  Will what I'm about to do, even though I'm allowed to do it, hurt someone?  Will it shake their faith?  Will it cause them to stumble?  

Will it make you look like a pretentious jerk?

That's what  a Christian Hipster is, and what the problem is with that attitude.  It's easy to get sucked into, especially for young Christians in college.  Have you ever met a college student who didn't know everything better than older people?  

Sorry to go on such a long post about something like this, that many people may not be able to identify with.  You may be wondering why I even think about something like this.  I don't know, things just come to mind every now and then and I feel like sharing them.

Incidentally, I work at a Christian college . . . . .

Tell me this wasn't worth reading all of that.









No comments:

Post a Comment